Calhoun Artillery flag, blue silk with silk, chenille and sequin embroidery. The back features a gold crescent with the words “Cresit. Alba” and “Calhoun Artillery.” The unit was raised for service during January 1861; its officers were Captain William Calhoun, 1st Lt. Thomas Wagner, 1st Lt. William Preston and 2nd Lt. S. Seagreaves. They, along with other companies became the First S.C. Artillery Battalion in May 1861.
This flag is on exhibit in The Charleston Museum’s Threads of War: Clothing and Textiles of the Civil War now through October 30, 2011.